Los Angeles Superior Court
Recent News About Los Angeles Superior Court
-
Appeals court sends Kentucky Fried Chicken class action case back to district court
SAN FRANCISCO – The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit has remanded a class action lawsuit against Great American Chicken Corp., after it failed to meet the residency rule for class action members. -
Talc supplier email produced at trial promotes 'confusion' over asbestos definition
LOS ANGELES – In the lawsuit against Johnson & Johnson for the baby powder a woman claims gave her the deadly disease mesothelioma, attorneys for the plaintiff on Tuesday produced an email in 2000 that indicated talc suppliers were trying to exploit confusion over a possible designation of talc as a “human carcinogen.” -
Plaintiff Weirick and mother testify about baby powder use in mesothelioma talc trial
LOS ANGELES – Carolyn Weirick told a jury on Wednesday what it felt like to be summoned to a doctor’s office because her condition was so serious they wouldn’t tell her about it over the phone. -
Former Johnson & Johnson safety officer testifies in talc trial that company made safety a priority
LOS ANGELES – A lay witness for Johnson & Johnson said Monday in a taped deposition filmed last April the company’s talc powder is clean of asbestos, refuting plaintiff Carolyn Weirick’s allegations that the company’s baby powder caused her to develop mesothelioma. -
Researcher testifies in Johnson & Johnson trial that asbestos was found in baby powder bottle
LOS ANGELES – A nationally known asbestos researcher on Aug. 24 told the attorney for plaintiff Carolyn Weirick that traces of the deadly mineral had been found in her bottle of Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder. -
Pathology expert points to talc use in mesothelioma lawsuit
LOS ANGELES – A pathology researcher on Tuesday told a jury repeated use over the years of Johnson & Johnson baby powder and the asbestos it allegedly contained likely caused plaintiff Carolyn Weirick to develop mesothelioma. -
Plaintiff witness says asbestos found in talc mine samples; On cross, witness admits products not tested
LOS ANGELES – A scientist called on behalf of plaintiff Carolyn Weirick in her lawsuit against Johnson & Johnson for the baby powder she claimed caused her mesothelioma said on Thursday asbestos fibers had been found in samples taken from the Italian and Vermont talc mines that supplied the company. -
Researcher in J&J talc trial explains path to fatal disease; Admits he has no knowledge of plaintiff's condition
Trial coverage in the Los Angeles Superior Court is being streamed live courtesy of Courtroom View Network. -
Defense attorney predicts plaintiff no-show in J&J talc trial
LOS ANGELES – Defense attorneys for baby powder maker Johnson & Johnson predicted on Tuesday attorneys for plaintiff Carolyn Weirick would not be able to rise to the burden of proof in a lawsuit that claimed the woman’s mesothelioma was caused by talc powder use. -
Trial opens accusing Johnson & Johnson talc powder of causing mesothelioma
LOS ANGELES – During opening arguments on Aug. 20 in a lawsuit to determine if Johnson & Johnson baby powder caused plaintiff Carolyn Weirick to develop mesothelioma, a rare form of terminal cancer, her lawyer said the company tried to hide from the truth. -
Asbestos claims dropping in Los Angeles County, experts question why
LOS ANGELES - Asbestos litigation appears, by many measures, to have reached the top of its curve, including in California, and particularly in Los Angeles. -
Jurors in mock cosmetic talc trial find in favor of plaintiff, but damages pale in comparison to real life
LOS ANGELES - Mock jurors returned a verdict in favor of a fictitious plaintiff who worked at a talc mining and milling facility 50 years ago, but unlike real court judgments awarding men and women millions in economic damages and recently billions in punitive damages, this jury of nine awarded less than $1 million, all in, to the mesothelioma victim and his wife. -
Longtime Los Angeles attorney faces disbarment for alleged probation violations
SAN FRANCISCO (Northern California Record) – Longtime Los Angeles attorney Joseph Walch faces disbarment by default following a recent California State Bar Court recommendation for allegedly violating probation initially handed down more than a decade ago after debilitating illness prevented him from properly supervising his practice. -
Samsung fails in its bid to force arbitration in phone explosion action
SACRAMENTO – Samsung has failed in its bid to force into arbitration a plaintiff who claims his smartphone exploded in his pocket, causing serious injuries. -
Proposition 65 benefits private activists, lawyers, Cato Institute fellow says
Following a court ruling based on a voter proposition requiring cancer warnings on coffee, a senior fellow for Constitutional Studies at Cato Institute’s Robert A. Levy Center has said California voter initiatives should come with better warnings. -
Iranian doctor ordered to arbitrate harassment claims against hospital
California's 2nd District Court of Appeals issued a ruling March 14 ordering a former medical resident to arbitrate her claims of harassment and threats against White Memorial Center. -
Plaintiff agrees to cap damages at $75,000 instead of $5 million in Walmart falling tables case
LOS ANGELES – A lawsuit involving Wal-Mart and a woman who alleged she was injured at a store has been remanded from the federal court back to Los Angeles Superior Court. -
L.A. County jurors find link between talc, mesothelioma unconvincing
&&& Johnson & Johnson scored a legal win in Los Angeles Superior Court Nov. 16 in what its legal team described as the country’s first trial to examine the claim that J&J talcum powder products cause a lung-related disease. -
Lawyer foresees potential spread of talc suits beyond baby powder after $400 million verdict
LOS ANGELES — Plaintiff lawyers will be on a never-ending search for defendants that use talc in their products, with the targeting of a cosmestics company likely only the beginning, according to a leading business defense attorney. -
L.A. attorney received public reproval
Los Angeles attorney Keith Goffney, currently ineligible to practice law in California, received a public reproval after being charged with six counts of misconduct, including unauthorized practice of law that he tried not to do, according to a recent state bar filing.